Michelle's Pillow Talk
BLOG HOME
Author Michelle M Pillow's take on important events. *cough* Yeah, that's it.
Saturday, March 10, 2007
Trying my books...What to read if you're new to them
I hesitated to blog this, because I hate the idea of playing favorites with books. But after three emails again this morning asking this very question, I thought I should try to gather some input and thoughts on the subject...

I get a lot of emails from new readers to my work asking which books of mine I think they should try if they've never read anything from me. Usually, my answer depends on what genre they like. I do write in many genres and voices, so the style of my fantasies won't exactly match the dark paranromals. So, what I recommend you try depends on what you like.

Because of this question and because I have a lot of books to choose from, I've decided to make a little list of my recommendations for anyone wanting to get into my work. Please remember this is only a basic list for the sole purpose of giving new readers a narrowed down book choice. It is by no means an indication of what I'd pick as my favorite, lol. (insert any necessary disclaimers here)

AUTHOR RECOMMENDATIONS TO TRY OUT MY BOOKS

Historical-
Book: Maiden and the Monster, Ellora's Cave
Why: Basically because it's up for the RT Reviewers Choice award. Plus, I love historicals. There's more world building and a bigger plot. These are more like the style I see myself doing in the future.
If you like this, you might enjoy: Realm Immortal Series (Samhain), Emerald Knight (NCP), Tribes of the Vampire Series (NCP)

Dark Fantasy-
Book: Tribes of the Vampire 2: The Jaded Hunter
Why: This book is a reader favorite out of the series--at least according to the fan mail. If you like darker themes and a little horror mixed in with your romance, this is your book to try.
If you like this, you might enjoy: Tribes of the Vampire Series (NCP), Realm Immortal Series (NCP, not as dark, but bigger world building)

Fantasy-
Book: Realm Immortal Series
Why: They're a lot of fun. I love the world and I love the characters. Not as dark as the Tribes world, these still have darker fantasy themes.
If you like this, you might enjoy: Emerald Knight (NCP), Tribes of the Vampire Series (NCP), Maiden and the Monster (EC)

Futuristics
Book: Lords of the Var Series, Maybe Lords of the Var: The Bound Prince if it needs to be narrowed to one. And so long as you're not insistent on reading books in series order, otherwise start with book one of the installment.
Why: This book is a reader favorite out of the series. It explores not only the planet most of the futuristics to date has taken place on, but also more of the galaxy beyond.
If you like this, you might enjoy: Dragon Lords series (NCP), Lords of the Var series (NCP), Zhang Dynasty (NCP), and Space Lords (NCP, Coming Soon)

Contemporaries Book: Bit by the Bug (Virgin Books, Print Only)
Why: It's the beginning of a new series there. They're lighter in style and themes. Just a fun read.
If you like this, you might enjoy: Fierce Competition (Virgin Books), Opposites Attract (Virgin Books), Matthews Sisters book 2: Along for the Ride (Virgin Books, Coming Fall 2007), Mountain's Captive (Part of the Print Caught Anthology, NCP)


Questions for Readers:(feel free to email me answers offlist)
What books would you recommend others try first from my booklist? (so that I may modify my selections to give the best answer) Do you think this list helpful? How would you improve upon it? Or is this just a horrible idea and I should just delete the whole blog post, lol? ~~Thanks in advance! You all are the best!!

Labels:

posted by Michelle Pillow @ 7:59 AM  

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Michelle M Pillow!


About Me
Michelle M Pillow
Author of All Things Romance (tm)

Name: Michelle Pillow
Home: United States
About Me: NEW BLOG ADDY:http://michellepillow.com/blog/

Website– www.michellepillow.com

Blog
– http://www.michellepillow.com/blog/

Chat Group
- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/The_Raven_Vampire_Nightclub/join

Author Newsletter/Book Notification Group
- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michellempillow/join

Myspace
- http://www.myspace.com/michellepillow

Free Story for Readers
- http://www.ravenhappyhour.com

Podcasts
- http://www.ravenhappyhour.com/raven_podcasts.htm

Raven Blog (paranormal blog with Mandy M Roth)
– http://ravenhappyhour.com/ravenblog

Bookvideos
- http://www.michellepillow.com/videos.htm

Contest
- http://michellepillow.com/blog/?cat=10
See my complete profile

Everyone's welcome to stop by and comment, don't be shy! I tend to keep it relaxed around here.

Want to hear me blog about a topic? Have an idea for a blog theme day? Want your blog on my blogroll? Want to contemplate the different shades of red toenail polish? Feel free to email!
michelle_pillow@yahoo.com

Previous Post
Archives
Michelle's Links

Publisher Links
Support My Research Book Habit!
Simply click here before buying anything on Amazon.com

Author Blog Links
Other Blog Links
Some of My Books
Other Links
Blog for Readers



Weblog Directory - Directory of blogs from all around the world.
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER